Skip to main content

Faith by Pop Smoke Album Review

 

Faith is the second posthumous album from New York rapper, singer, and songwriter who blew up back in late 2019 with the banger track titled "Welcome to the party" and "Dior". Also, Travis Scott was part of pop early successful career because of the track "Gatti" which featured pop himself. Personally, that track grew on me a lot because when I took a listen to that track, I was kinda confused because the drum pattern on Gatti is really unusual. Yeah, at that time I didn't know what drill is. However, after a couple listens and knows the drill scene existence, I enjoy the track even more. 

The first track on the album is a narrative that is spoken by Audrey Jackson (Genius) and with huge respect, I don't even know who she is. I like the intro but I think the drill beat at the end is unnecessary. More time is like a generic soft-hitting drill with an "ok" vocal performance from pop smoke. I expected some fresh air on the next song Tell The vision because there is Kanye West and Pusha T feature here. Unfortunately, Kanye does not fulfill my expectation. He just screamed his ass out on the intro and yeah that's it. King push's verse is the only highlight here. He mentioned Tyler the creator and until now I can't conclude whether it is a diss or not. Although it is not a fantastic verse, in my opinion, Pusha T has succeeded to bring some flavor to cover some weaknesses on the track. I forgot to mention that this is my first time listening to Pusha T on a drill beat. Rick Ross type beat. Yes, that phrase came to my mind when I heard the fourth track's beat, and yeah there is Rick Ross here. In my opinion, a vibe that is given by this track should be appeared more here, because I'm a bit tired of pop smoke on a drill beat. Pop and ross verses are good here and the outro performance by the dream is just amazing to me, and maybe after this, I wanna listen to some The Dream songs. This song is what I don't anticipate from this album. because Pop smoke got outshined so hard by the feature. He just kinda sing the hook and that's it. The feature also meh to me, verses from dugg and 21 cant even make the track decent. The sixth track called brush em is another song that is just meh and forgettable, but pop is changing the tone to more aggressive here. I noticed there is a funny line here but I forgot which one. The seventh track got me like "Wait, push rap over this type of beat??". The beat has like the summery vibe and it got features from The Neptunes, Travi and beam, and also Pusha T. Once again, Pusha T is the only highlight here in my opinion. The other part is just ok to me. The track called 80 is a track where again Pop Smoke got outshined by the featured artist. Bizzy Banks is coming with a good verse and good hook also in my opinion. Pop performance is not bad too but once again, he gets outshined by his own feature. For the ninth and tenth tracks, I feel these songs are just a Pop smoke freestyle acapella and his label throws in some instrumentals that fit with his vocal. I knew this will happen in any posthumous album. 

Move to the second half of the album. At this point, I feel nothing but skeptical feeling. The instrumental on the eleventh and the tenth track is so similar, like the bell with a bunch of reverb plus the generic trap drum. I believe those songs also have the same chord progressions. besides that, I like the hook on this song and I think takeoff's verse here can be more longer. Genius is the once again generic drill beat with choir orchestral sample and 808 slides here and there. I expect a fun and summer vibe from this track because Swae lee and Lil Tjay are listed as a feature here, but it does not give what I expected. Actually, I don't wanna talk much about this track because it is too generic, both future and pop come with weak verses. After that, we got an interlude. The first impression of the interlude is what the heck?? There is no sense and context why this interlude exists. At this point, I assume that pop's label just wants to add more tracks to the album to gain more profit. Using the same formula as the tenth and eleventh track, Woo baby in my opinion is the best track among those two. Chris Brown's feature adds more variation but also it outshines Pop smoke performance. Now it's getting wild because Dua Lipa is in the building. Pop Smoke raps on dance floor instrumental (?) and Dua lipa feature is not bad but in my opinion, the hook of this song is kinda cringy a bit, like "I'm off the perc gigi?". What does that mean?. We got another Pharell feature, but once again I don't wanna talk much about this song because the song is so boring and forgettable. Song with Cudi also does not bring anything to the table, just a boring and forgettable song. I like this nineteenth song with kodak and Quavo, because the hook is good, each verse is not bad, and the instrumental is also chilling. Lastly, the outro is nothing special. It is just pop's adlib woo woo woo fill the track back and forth and I don't even know why they let it happens. 

Conclusion: 

I am very disappointed by this album. The first reason is the album cover. If yall(label) cant put good music, at least make a good cover for him, respect him as an artist. I believe pop wouldn't allow that picture to become his album cover. Secondly, as I mentioned multiple times before, the feature in almost every song does not give enough chance to the main artist. It feels like Pop smoke got outshined in almost every track. 

When the album was announced, I was so ready to hear some songs that have the same chill vibe as What you know bout love or banger like Got it On Me, The Woo featuring 50 and roddy, or even for the nights. 

3.5/10

Comments

Pageviews

Get in Touch with me